Print Friendly Recipe
- Savory but low-fat chicken breasts
- Mary Pat
Serves/Makes:4 or more
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) sundried tomatoes, packed in oil
- 4 5 oz (140 grm). boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) Gold Medal Wondra flour
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) dry vermouth
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) thinly sliced shallots
- 1/2 lb (.2 kg). crimini or button mushrooms, wiped, trimmed and thenly sliced
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) minced fresh thyme or 1 tsp (5 ml) crumbled try thyme
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) coarse salt
- Drain sun-dried tomatoes, blot dry and slice into 1/4 inch strips; set aside.
- Place chicken breasts within a folded piece of plastic wrap and slightly flatten upper portion of each breast with the broad side of a chef's knife to promote even cooking.
- Combine flour and pepper.
- Lightly dredge each breast half in seasoned flour (dredge just before cooking or flour coating will become gummy).
- In a 12 inch skillet, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add chicken and saute until lightly golden, about 3 minutes on each side; transfer to plate.
- Add vermouth to skillet, turn heat to low and scrape any fragments left in bottom of pan with wooden spoon.
- Add shallots and cook until slightly softened, about 1 minute.
- Add mushrooms and continue cooking, stirring constantly, for an additional minute.
- Stir in sun-dried tomatoes and thyme.
- Return chicken to pan and season with salt.
- Spoon a little mushroom mixture over chicken, cover pan, and cook an additional 2 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to platter, spoon remaining mushroom mixture on top, and serve.
- Original recipe is from a cookbook called Italian Light.
It called for packaged, dry sun-dried tomatoes to be rehydrated in 1/2 c. boiling water. These are not always easy to find and sometimes come out a little leathery but there would be a slightly lower fat content per serving.
Your call on that one. After rehydrating, follow all directions.
Italian Light estimates per serving: 303 cal., 9 gm. fat,
82 mg. chol., 287 mg. sodium.
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.