Print Friendly Recipe
- Kate A.
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil (Colavita preferred)
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) chopped onions (sweet if in season)
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) chopped fresh BASIL or oregano
- 1 tsp (5 ml). chopped fresh thyme or 1/4 tsp (1 ml). dried
- 5 cups (1175 ml) diced fresh tomatoes (about 2 lbs (.9 kg). equals 5 cups)
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2-1/2 tbsp (35 ml) tomato paste
- 2 tsp (10 ml). sugar (optional)
- Fresh herbs for garnish
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onion, garlic, basil or oregano, and thyme.
- Cook stirring often until onion begins to soften (about 5 minutes).
- Add tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Stir in broth, tomato paste, and sugar.
- Season to taste with salt and fresh ground black pepper.
- Bring soup to a boil, then reduce heat.
- Simmer, uncovered, for about 15 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender* process until smooth.
- For serving there are two choices:
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with fresh herbs and/or diced avocado, a swirl of sour cream or basil cream, roasted pumpkin seeds or whatever comes to mind that seems like it would taste good!
- Chill or freeze the soup. Pull it out and serve as soon as it thaws.
- If you don't own an immersion blender ladle small amounts at a time into a blender or food processor and blend/process until smooth.
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.