Print Friendly Recipe
- Savory breakfast torte with hashbrown potato crust.
- Sandi L.
Serves/Makes:8 or more
- 12 eggs
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) whole milk
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 3/4 tsp (4 ml) freshly ground pepper
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) butter, divided
- 12 oz (336 grm). fresh breakfast links
- 2 cups (475 ml) sliced leeks, white and pale green parts only
- 1-1/2 lbs (.7 kg). russet potatoes, peeled, shredded, lightly squeezed
- 1 lb (.5 kg). fresh spinach
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) swiss or gruyere cheese, grated (4 oz (112 grm).)
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) grated Parmesan cheese (1-1/2 oz (42 grm).)
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) chopped fresh parsley, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (175 C.).
- Whisk eggs,milk, salt and pepper in a large bowl; set aside.
- Melt 1 tbsp (15 ml) butter in a 12-inch cast iron or non-stick oven-proof skillet over medium heat.
- Add sausages and cook, turning until brown all over--about 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a plate.
- Add leeks to skillet; cook until wilted about 5 minutes.
- Add spinach and cook, stirring, until wilted.
- Transfer to a small bowl.
- Melt 2 tbsp (30 ml) butter in same skillet over medium heat.
- Add potatoes spreading out in a even layer.
- Cook without stirring until bottom edges are crisp and golden brown--about 10 minutes.
- Invert potato pancake onto a large plate/platter and slide back into skillet brown side up.
- Cook until bottom is golden brown--about 10 minutes.
- Arrange sausages in a spoke pattern on potatoes.
- Scatter spinach and leek mixture over pancake.
- Pour in the egg mixture.
- Sprinkle both cheeses over the top.
- Bake until casserole is puffed and golden brown--35-40 minutes.
- Slide onto a serving platter.
- Sprinkle with fresh parsley,
- Serve warm or at room temperature cut into wedges.
- Recipe adapted from Bon Appetit magazine, Nov. 2011.
Sausage may be eliminated for a vegetarian dish.
Ground sausage or turkey sausage may be substituted and sausage used may be chopped or sliced before adding to the casserole.
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.